We are thrilled to have you on our site. If you enjoy the post you have just found kindly Share it with friends.
The mouth is an important part of the body because we use it to eat and communicate every day.
Every part of it your teeth, tongue, and jaw play an important role in ensuring that your speech is heard and understood by whom you are speaking to. Now, imagine that you cannot speak or eat because moving your jaw hurts. A real inconvenience, isn’t it?
Jaw pain can be caused by many factors, ranging from genetic factors to injury to the jaw. However, many people are quick to conclude that jaw pain is caused by eating a lot of sweet foods and assume that stopping the sweet things will automatically get rid of the pain.
This is not entirely true, which is why dental centers like it Crescent Dental Park Others are working hard to educate their patients about the causes of jaw pain, how to prevent it, how to treat it, and the need to see a doctor before it worsens.
This article will discuss some of the basic things you should know about the condition. Read on to discover a lot more.
Causes of jaw pain
Some of the causes of jaw pain include:
- Sinus infections
- Nerve damage
- Grind your teeth at night
- Jaw constriction due to stress and anxiety
- Muscle pain in the joints that control the jaw
- Injuries to the jaw
- Dental Surgery
- Tension headache caused by stress
- Insomnia and fatigue
- Certain mental health problems.
- Accidents, etc.
Symptoms of jaw pain
Some of the symptoms that may indicate jaw pain include:
- Muscle and joint pain
- Ringing in the ear
- Severe and prolonged headache
- Jaw lock
- Swelling of the face
How to get rid of jaw pain
If you are feeling some kind of pain around your jaw, the tips below may help.
- Wrap an ice pack in a thin cloth and place it on the affected area for fifteen minutes. Take it off for ten minutes and then reapply it for another fifteen minutes until you feel relief from the pain in your jaw. You can also place a warm towel over your jaw to relax your muscles and relieve pain.
- Massage the affected areaUsing the index finger and the middle finger. Run the patch in a circular motion for two to three minutes, open your mouth, repeat the exercise and continue the process until you feel some relief.
- Pain relievers also do a good role in relieving pain. Medicines such as ibuprofen can help relieve discomfort. However, you must be careful not to overdose in a hurry to remove the pain as quickly as possible.
What happens when you neglect jaw pain?
When you don’t seek medical care for your jaw pain, and agree to let it go away on its own, various complications can arise. These complications are severe and could have been avoided with early treatments. They include;
- Dental complications
- The need for surgery
- Persistent pain and discomfort
- Psychological and mental illnesses such as anxiety and depression
How to prevent jaw pain
- For people who squeeze their mouths while experiencing attacks of anxiety or stress, you can try any of these mitigation techniques to reduce bruxism:
- Yoga and meditation
- Writing about how you are feeling can help take your mind off the problem at hand.
- Avoid eating too many foods that require chewing such as apples, bullous gums, etc., because they overwork and put pressure on your jaw, which in the long run may cause discomfort and pain.
- Products containing caffeine can contribute to tension in the jaw muscles. It is best to avoid caffeine or eat as little as possible.
Treatments for acute jaw pain
When jaw pain is left untreated for a long time, it causes more muscle damage. When you reach this stage, getting relief will require invasive forms of treatments such as;
- Jaw surgeryIt is used to correct structural problems in the jaw joint and is only recommended in rare cases.
- Mouth guardWearing a mouthguard will prevent involuntary grinding of the teeth at night because the plastic shield will keep the layers of the teeth (upper and lower) from direct contact.
- Muscle relaxantsMuscle relaxants are used when a mouthguard fails to prevent pain.
The jaw has been proven to play an important role in a man’s daily life, and when a person experiences pains in his jaw, he tends to brutally affect various aspects of his life.
Most people with severe jaw pain wonder how to relieve the pain. Fortunately, this article has explained the causes of jaw pain and methods of treatment. Aside from the causes and treatments, he also explained how jaw pain and its symptoms can be prevented and how to get rid of it.
Latest posts by HealthStatus (Show all)
Disclaimer: The opinions expressed within this article are the personal opinions of the author. The facts and opinions appearing in the article do not reflect the views of Algulf.net and Algulf.net does not assume any responsibility or liability for the same.