We are thrilled to have you on our site. If you enjoy the post you have just found kindly Share it with friends.
South Africa announced on Wednesday that the death toll from the recent unrest has risen to 276.
“A total of 234 deaths have been recorded as related to the unrest in KwaZulu-Natal so far since the unrest,” Presidential Office Minister Kombudzu Nchavini said in a statement, adding that 42 more deaths have been recorded in Gauteng province. including Johannesburg.
The minister said stability has returned in KwaZulu-Natal and Gauteng provinces, which have witnessed unprecedented violence since the end of apartheid, and that police are carrying out purges to eliminate similar activities.
Police are investigating 168 of the dead as homicides. Some people died as a result of stampede, or were crushed by objects falling on them, while some died in burning buildings.
The riots broke out a day after former President Jacob Zuma served a 15-month prison sentence for ignoring a corruption investigation.
The violence swept through the provinces of KwaZulu-Natal and Gauteng, the country’s most populous provinces, which account for half of the country’s gross domestic product. Violence has abated and so far six people have been arrested on charges of inciting violence. Thousands were also arrested on charges of looting.
Disclaimer: The opinions expressed within this article are the personal opinions of the author. The facts and opinions appearing in the article do not reflect the views of Algulf.net and Algulf.net does not assume any responsibility or liability for the same.