LAS VEGAS, NEVADA – AUGUST 21: Manny Pacquiao gestures to fans after his WBA welterweight title fight against Yordenis Ugas at the T-Mobile Arena on August 21, 2021 in Las Vegas, Nevada. Ugas retained his title by unanimous decision. Ethan Miller/Getty Images/AFP (Photo by Ethan Miller / GETTY IMAGES NORTH AMERICA / Getty Images via AFP)
MANILA, Philippines – Manny Pacquiao may not have been able to regain the title that was taken from him, but he never forgot to show his appreciation to the partisan crowd supporting him at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas amid the COVID-19 pandemic.
After more than two years fighting in his first match, Pacquiao suffered a unanimous loss to Cuban Yordenis Ugas as he failed to regain the WBA Super Welterweight title on Sunday (Manila time).
“Well, I’m so grateful to the fans who witnessed the fight live, I really appreciate your efforts,” said Pacquiao, hinting that he may not return to the ring after the fight.
Pacquiao’s last fight was in July 2019 when he defeated Keith Thurman for the WBA (Super) crown. However, the Philippine ring icon was eventually demoted as the WBA champion at halftime due to inactivity.
The 42-year-old southpaw previously said he didn’t want to fight last year because of the pandemic.
Ugas, meanwhile, won the “regular” WBA title in September 2020, but was elevated to Super status at the same time as Pacquiao was stripped of the title.
“Despite the pandemic, you had time to watch the fight live. I’m sorry we lost tonight, but I did my best and I apologize.”
Get the best sports news straight to your inbox
Don’t miss the latest news and information.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to access The Philippine Daily Inquirer and other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am and share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.
For feedback, complaints or questions, please contact us.