Covid-19 SA: on alert about missing Covid contacts

Covid-19 SA: on alert about missing Covid contacts

Health authorities are looking for more than a dozen people who haven’t checked in at a business visited by an infected Covid-19 case from NSW.

South Australian authorities are scrambling to find more than a dozen people who have not checked in at businesses where Covid-19 positive truck drivers have visited.

SA Health was warned on Friday that two transport workers traveling from NSW to Western Australia via regional South Australia tested positive for the virus.

The truck drivers stopped during their travels at locations in Ceduna, Port Augusta and Nundroo that are now listed as exposure sites.

As a result, 99 people have so far been kept in isolation for 14 days as a precaution.

But health authorities are still in the process of determining who are another 18 people who visited one of the exposure sites and did not use the Covid QR check-in.

Prime Minister Steven Marshall said there were “secondary ways” to identify those missing people, but they were “slower” than the QR system.

He said it was “unlikely” that more people would be quarantined on Monday.

“Again, we’ve been very lucky in SA (because) we learned very early that this infected person was in SA,” he said of the first truck driver to test positive.

“We are putting a net across those people who could very quickly have come into contact with this infected person.

“We’ll have to wait and see, but I’m hopeful that we won’t get any further infections here.”

Critical workers, such as truck drivers, are required to undergo surveillance tests when crossing the border into South Australia, and the Prime Minister said the system identified the first positive case.

“He was asymptomatic and developed those symptoms early on… It shows that this system is working well,” said Mr. Marshall.

Chief public health officer Nicola Spurrier said SA Health was collecting the tests from those 99 people in quarantine and had so far returned negative tests to Covid-19.

She said the most important thing now was to locate the remaining people so that the rest of the community was not at risk.

“We had a bit of a problem because when we looked at the CCTV footage, there wasn’t a high compliance rate for QR check-ins at On The Runs,” Professor Spurrier told 5AA Radio.

“We need to go back and look at bank records and get CCTV to see if we can identify people that way.

“It’s really concerning if someone has been exposed, so we want to make sure they know and that they are protected, as well as their family and the rest of the community.”

Despite recent exposure fears, the state registered zero new Covid-19 infections on Monday.

Anyone who visited the following exposure sites on the specified date and time should be tested immediately and, along with their household contacts, be quarantined for 14 days since the site visit and retested on Days 5 and 13:

  • Ceduna – IOR Petroleum Ceduna at 92 McKenzie St on Saturday, August 21 from 3:45 PM to 5:45 PM and from 10 PM to 10:30 PM; and Thursday 26 August between 5.30 and 6.30 am
  • Ceduna – OTR Ceduna at 35 Eyre Highway on Saturday, August 21 between 3:45 PM and 5:45 PM; and Thursday 26 August between 5.30 and 6.30 am
  • Port Augusta – IOR Petroleum Port Augusta (South) on Northern Power Station Rd on Saturday, August 21 between 12 noon and 12:30 pm; Sunday, August 22 between 4:05 AM and 4:35 AM; Wednesday, August 25 between 11:30 PM and midnight; and Thursday 26 August between midnight and 12.30 pm
  • Port Augusta – OTR Port Augusta at the corner of Augusta Highway and Northern Power Station Rd on Saturday, August 21 between 12:00 PM and 12:50 PM; Sunday, August 22 between 4.20 a.m. and 5.05 a.m.; Wednesday, August 25 between 11:30 PM and midnight; and Thursday 26 August between midnight and 12.30 pm
  • Nundroo – Nundroo Mobile Roadhouse along Eyre Highway on Saturday, August 21 between 7:15 PM and 8:30 PM

.

Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *