Victorians anxiously await the details of when their lockdown may end as the state records another day of high cases.
Welcome to our Covid live blog where we will focus on the situation in Victoria.
Health and government officials are forecast to provide more details today about the extension of the lockdown.
Prime Minister Daniel Andrews said on Sunday it would not end as planned on Thursday, and it was reported that more details would be provided on Tuesday.
Their decision would be influenced by the 76 Covid cases in the last reporting period, 45 of which were linked to existing clusters.
Victorian health officials have also admitted they may not be able to go back to zero daily Covid cases if the current outbreak continues to grow.
The figure had previously been a target for officials when considering the end of the shutdown.
Chief Health Officer Professor Brett Sutton said it was impossible to know if Victoria could return to zero daily cases on Monday.
“The aggressive repression strategy is quite explicit through the national cabinet,” he said.
NSW still hasn’t had its worst month with Prime Minister Gladys Berejiklian warning that admissions to intensive care units were not expected to peak until October.
NSW Prime Minister Gladys Berejiklian confirmed the grim outlook for the state as coronavirus cases continue to rise.
Cases peaked again on Monday, with 1,290 cases recorded and four deaths.
Modeling released last week indicated that Covid-19 cases would continue to rise through October before finally falling as vaccination rates improve.
The increase in the number of cases will also push intensive care units to their limits.
There are currently 840 Covid-19 cases in hospital, with 137 people in intensive care, 48 of whom require ventilators.
VIC outbreak totals by LGA
Wyndham: 212 (12?)
Hobsons Bay: 166 (19?)
Hume: 122 (19?)
Greater Shepparton: 100 (2?)
Moreland: 78 (10?)
Brim bench: 53 (8?)
Melbourne: 52 (6?)
Melton: 49 (5?)
Moonee Valley: 30 (4?)
Maribyrnong: 24 (4?)
Yarra: 23 (3?)
Darebin: 21 (3?) pic.twitter.com/WYQthTiPed
— CovidBaseAU @ (@covidbaseau) August 30, 2021
About 100 NRL partners, families and officials have flown to Queensland and will undergo 14 days of hotel quarantine, despite a government-imposed break for new arrivals.
The charter plane landed in Brisbane from Sydney on Monday, days after the Palaszczuk government announced a two-week break from the hotel quarantine to allow it to develop a new system.
The contingent was granted a waiver to travel to Queensland by Chief Health Officer Jeannette Young and will stay at a NRL designated hotel not operated by Queensland Health.
The separate strict quarantine management plan was approved by Dr. Young and does not use state resources.
But the move has angered thousands of Queenslanders straded in hotspot states.