Canberra lockdown: Businesses warn of tough times ahead after lockdown extended | Canberra Times

Canberra lockdown: Businesses warn of tough times ahead after lockdown extended |  Canberra Times

news, local-news, coronavirus, canberra, act, business, support, lockdown, andrew barr

The ACT business and hospitality sectors say there will be tough times ahead, after extending the region’s closure for another two weeks. Industry groups warn that any further extension of the lockdown would be disastrous unless the government provides more support for businesses. Grants of support for distressed businesses have been doubled in response to the extension of the lockdown, which will push the total closing time for the region to more than one month. Prime Minister Andrew Barr has announced that the lockdown will be extended until midnight on Friday, 17 September. While the ACT has been beating the outbreak, he said, more time is still needed. “It’s a slow process and it will take more time,” he said. “We still have unrelated cases in the community, we still have infectious cases in the community.” Minimize close contact with others outside your household to reduce the possibility of transmission.” The ACT reported 13 new Covid cases on Tuesday. The total number of cases linked to the outbreak is 274. While the lockdown has been extended, there has been a slight easing of restrictions on the advice of the ACT’s chief health official. Keren Coleman, Dr. Keren Coleman. Starting Thursday evening, Canberrans will be allowed to exercise outdoors for two hours, instead of one. Up to five people will be allowed to gather outdoors for exercise, and outdoor playgrounds will also reopen. Gardeners and landscapers can return to work.A maximum of 10 people will be allowed to attend a wedding and 20 people will be able to attend the funeral.Mr Barr also said residential construction will be able to resume by Friday, September 10, but that depends on health advice.In In light of the extension, ACT and federal governments have doubled down on grant support to businesses affected by the shutdown.Canberra businesses that have seen their turnover drop by at least 30 percent will now be able to claim grants in up to 20,000 countries R, if it has employees. Non-operating companies can receive a grant of $7,500. More than 3,700 companies have already applied for payments since applications opened last week. The chief executive of the Canberra Chamber of Business, Graham Katt, welcomed the increase in the grant, but said companies will face some tough times ahead. He said any further extension of the lockdown would require additional support, or else it could lead to bankruptcy. “We don’t have valid JobKeeper payments flowing through businesses, we’re really entering uncharted waters in many ways for many businesses and the economy,” said Mr. Katt. Anthony Brierley, director general of the Australian Hotel Association, said hospitality companies would be able to “walk the water” over the next two weeks with support payments. But he was very concerned about what it would mean for the industry if the lockdown were extended. “It would be disastrous – if we were in this for another two months, it would be pushed hard,” Brierley said. ACT Senator Zed Seselja has worked on a business support package with the territorial government, and said that if case numbers don’t reach zero, there must be a plan to live with the virus. “If the ACT government is not able to completely control the numbers for the next couple of weeks, I think they will have to figure out a way – with very high vaccination rates, which is great – we can live with rather than impose constant crippling shutdowns until they hit zero, which we know Of course that in many cases, it can be very difficult to achieve.” More COVID-19 news: Grants are set to start flowing to businesses in the coming days, but opposition leader Elizabeth Lee has again voiced concerns about delays in payments. In a letter to the prime minister, she said a large number of business owners had contacted the “Canberra Liberals” who said they had to wait up to 30 days for applications to be evaluated. The construction industry also welcomed the proposed September 10 reopening, but Housing Industry Association CEO Greg Wheeler cautioned that any further delay in the reopening date would be harmful. “This shutdown has been really tough on the apartment building industry, and it is important that we get back to business as soon as possible,” said Mr. Wheeler. “Unlike many in the community who are able to work from home, when the construction professions are not operating, they are not getting paid. Likewise when the construction trade is not on site, the economic benefits of new home and building renovations to the ACT economy are lost. Our coverage of the health and safety aspects of the COVID outbreak -19 This is in the ACT and the closing is free for anyone to access. However, we rely on subscription revenue to support our journalism. If you are able, please subscribe here. If you are already subscribed, thank you for your support. You can also subscribe to our newsletters for regular updates Our journalists work hard to bring up-to-date local news to the community.This is how you can continue to access our trusted content:

/images/transform/v1/crop/frm/79652520/14a11221-89da-4de1-88ae-6d658aebc8b9.jpg/r11_133_4606_2729_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Leave a Comment