Victoria recorded its first Covid-19 death since the state’s devastating second wave last year.
Two women have died of Covid-19 in Victoria, the first death from the virus in the state in nearly a year.
A woman in her forties from the Darbin area and a Hume woman in her 60s died at home on Tuesday.
Their death is the first in Victoria since the second wave last year, and brings the death toll in the state to 822.
“We send our deepest condolences to the families and communities concerned – and will work with them to give them the support and guidance they need over the coming days,” the Victorian Department of Health said in a statement.
We know that symptoms of Covid-19 can worsen quickly. If this has happened to you (or to someone you know or live with) and help is required, please seek medical attention. If it’s an emergency, call 0″.
The deaths, which the Health Ministry says will be investigated, will be recorded in Wednesday’s numbers.
Victoria confirmed 76 new infections on Tuesday, bringing the total number of active locally acquired cases to 841.
Meanwhile, New South Wales recorded 1,164 new infections, bringing the total number of local cases since the delta outbreak broke out in Sydney in June to 21,208.
Three people were announced killed, a woman in her 50s, a man in his 80s and a man in his 90s, in New South Wales on Tuesday.
There have been 96 deaths linked to Covid-19 in NSW in this outbreak and 152 in total since the start of the pandemic.