Sam Eggington served another thriller

We are thrilled to have you on our site. If you enjoy the post you have just found kindly Share it with friends.

Andy Whittle watches Sam Eggington come out on top after an affair in Coventry

Ignoring a cut and increasingly swollen right eye, Birmingham’s Sam Eggington was forced to go the long, hard road before he took into account the Frenchman Bilel Jkitou. A split decision win came his way at the end of a bloody, bruising affair with close rounds galore.

Having to make up for some lost early ground, Sam threw caution to the wind. In the fourth there was a prolonged trade in the middle ring, and after that the pace rarely dropped with Eggington, for me anyway, just that little bit busier for the most part. Sam, hurt and momentarily slowed by a pair of lefts in the top half of the eighth, finished the rounds strong and that could be just enough for him to beat one or two of those really close rounds.

The pace in the later laps of the seesaw showed no signs of slowing down and the crowd was treated to a real battle as the finish line loomed. Excellent stuff, unless of course you’re one of the two men taking the blows.

Judges John Latham and Alexander Walter scored 117-112 and 117-111 for Sam respectively, while Frenchman Christophe Fernandez saw a very different fight and had it 116-112 for Jkitou. BN Sam had two at the finish.

brummie welter kaise Benjamin recorded another early win by Finland’s . to turn off Jarkko Putkonen in the third of a scheduled 10. Shaun Messer completed his count at 1-09 after Kaisee, after softening the visitor, knocked home a squatter of a right to the body. Putkonen, on all fours, tried his very best to rock back and forth and rid himself of the pain, but he was unable to do so and he never looked forward to defeating the Earl.

Mr Messer was also third man in a 10 between local favourite River Wilson-Bent and that of Budapest Gabor Gorbics and at the end of a particularly one-sided encounter scored 100-90. Wilson-Bent, who was in control the whole time, cut the ring and backed up the Hungarian and regularly picked up the pace as the rounds entered their later stages. Gorbics, who finished above the left eye, answered intermittently with some shots for the most part, but never with anything to bother the undefeated Coventry man.

Well Supported Irish Welterweight Stephen McKenna, having won all eight previous matches early, the distance was taken for the first time by a durable and ever-playing Frenchman Moussa Gary. Stephen, who mixed things up nicely but mostly aimed at the body, probably learned more in six rounds against an opponent who simply refused to wilt than in all those earlier quickies. Referee Mr Messer scored 60-54.

Another Irishman, Brett McGinty needed just two and a half rounds of a scheduled four to get his third paid win with Sofia’s Teodor Nikolov, kicking back at a rate of knots from the start, and found himself way out of his depth. Two laps for good, Brett knocked out the Bulgarian three times in quick succession, the third instance led to the intervention of referee Chris Dean with 77 seconds of the session over.

If McGinty’s win had been quick, that of… Michael Hennessy Jr about Latvian Maxim Dembowski finished even faster and was dusted in 135 seconds and in that short time the mournful visitor also fell three times, but unlike Nikolov, he lay down on the last opportunity after being dropped by a right cross. Again Mr Dean was the referee.

Birmingham’s Shakan Pitters, which towered over the Amsterdam-based Ugandan Farouk Daku, cruised to an 80-70 win. Pitters was so dominant that watching became a bit uncomfortable in the later stages. People wondered if his corner would be merciful and pull him out. An interruption could have come when he was sent to the canvas by a judge at a neutral angle in the penultimate session, but he boxed on offering a big heart but little else.

Brighton Heavyweight Tommy Welch was first taken the distance by the Spaniard Allvaro Terrero placeholder image who took several bats without ever really looking like he was wilting, before having a little bit of success in the last one when the pace dropped. Referee Mr Messer scored 40-36.

A fight scheduled for six but ended after only one saw Brixton’s Isaac chamberlain puts paid to the hopes of Bolton’s busy Ben Thomas who fell heavily from a left hook when the bell rang, didn’t come out for round two. Referee, Mr Dean, led, as was the case in a one-sided six between Ireland’s undefeated Aaron McKenna and brave Croatian Ivica Gogosevic which ended 60-52, with the man from Split being dropped twice in the closing moments.

The verdict Another tough but exciting night at the office for Eggington.

Disclaimer: The opinions expressed within this article are the personal opinions of the author. The facts and opinions appearing in the article do not reflect the views of and does not assume any responsibility or liability for the same.

Leave a Comment