The Victorian treasurer, Tim Ballas, targeted his federal counterparts for abandoning the state’s construction sector at its lowest point.
Victorian Chancellor of the Exchequer Tim Ballas criticized his federal counterparts for abandoning the construction sector in Victoria at its lowest point.
Mr Ballas said the federal government had broken its “well-established” principle of co-financing business support packages despite its funding of construction work in NSW during its recent shutdown.
He said: “This is a rude behavior, and a devotee of the soul.”
They took the first opportunity they had to escape from their responsibilities.
“It is up to Josh Frydenberg and the Prime Minister to explain why construction in Victoria is treated differently than in New South Wales.”
More than 70,000 construction companies affected by the construction shutdown are set to receive a one-time subsidy payment.
As part of a new government fund of $196.6 million, one-time cash grants will be provided to eligible businesses – including sole traders – affected by the restrictions period from September 21 to October 4.
They include businesses across Melbourne, Greater Geelong City, Surf Coast Shire and Mitchell Shire.
Eligible non-employed single merchant businesses will receive a one-time payment of $2,000, which would increase to $2,800 for businesses with annual payrolls of up to $650,000, and $5,600 for payrolls of $650,000 to $3 million and $8,400 For companies with payroll of up to $10 million.
Treasurer Tim Ballas said the grants would have doubled if the Commonwealth government had not refused to contribute to the Victorian building industry.
Ballas criticized the federal government, which provided the NSW construction industry with targeted support when it shut down earlier this year.
“It’s blatant preferential treatment for the state of New South Wales,” he said.
“Now we find ourselves once again in a situation where the federal government has abandoned Victorian businesses.
“If the Prime Minister wants us to stop calling him the Prime Minister of New South Wales, he has to stop acting like this.”
Speaking of his Federalist counterpart, Josh Frydenberg, Ballas said: “He’s from Victoria, but he’s definitely not for the Victorians.”
“The federal government left people behind when they needed it most,” he added.
“This is rudeness, this is racy behavior and it hurts an industry that doesn’t deserve this.”
Data released this week shows that New South Wales received $6.15 billion in Covid-19 disaster payments, compared to just $2.40 billion in Victoria.
It comes as Victoria reported a spike in cases, with 1,488 new local infections on Saturday.
This rise brings the total number of active cases across the state to 11,591.
Two more people infected with COVID-19 have died.
On Friday, 71,224 Victorians turned up for testing, while 36,878 vaccines were administered at state centers.
The daily toll is the highest in Victoria for the entire epidemic.
Of the 71 new local cases detected in regional Victoria on Saturday, 10 were found in the now-closed Shepparton area.
Six of them are related in four families, with some positive cases attending the grand final ceremony with 17 people.
PREVIOUS PREMIER WARNING ABOUT COVID REFUND
Victorian Prime Minister Ted Bellew has warned that the state’s post-pandemic economy will not recover quickly and that recovery could take 10 to 15 years.
“I don’t think we will recover. We will need to rebuild using football terms.
Bailio was one of four former prime ministers who spoke at the VECCI summit about the state’s path out of the Covid pandemic.
Bailio said the country’s character and strengths will eventually overcome the “economic catastrophe.”
Steve Brax said he is optimistic about a quick economic return and that it will be V-shaped.
John Brumby told the summit that the state’s biggest challenge after the pandemic was meeting skill requirements, especially in the health sector.
First, 53 per cent of all new jobs in Australia will require a university degree and 10 per cent will require a diploma. It will be the engine room for economic growth.
The second thing is that one in four new jobs will be in health and related industries. ”
He said these jobs will meet the demands caused by the aging population, the backlog related to Covid and the growth of the NDIS.
“I’m not sure any government in Australia is on this issue of extraordinary demand and shortages that will happen in this space over the next couple of years if we don’t do something really transformative.”
Framing Victoria’s view, Brumby invoked the memory of former US President Abraham Lincoln, saying the best way to “predict the future is to make it”.
Jeff Kennett said the country’s $170 billion debt burden was a major concern.
We don’t have the ability as a country to earn revenue to pay for that within the next 20 or 30 years.
Kennett also identified population erosion as a problem and also called for a state-run loan scheme to help small businesses tackle it.
He again put forward an earlier idea of merging Victoria, South Australia and Tasmania as a single administrative power to increase efficiency.
He also denounced the lack of a common goal across the country and also urged Australia to increase its presence in Asia as a springboard to the world.
VECCI CEO Paul Guerra said the summit aims to bring the state’s thought leaders together to chart a path to recovery, preserving the state’s strengths while discovering new opportunities for growth.
“We all want a better Victoria,” he said.
Rapid Tests “the mainstay” of reopening
Melbourne Mayor Lord Sally Cape is calling on all levels of government to work together to bring rapid antigen testing to the juvenile sector, describing the technology as a “key pillar in Melbourne’s renaissance”.
Ms Cap said the state could not waste another minute when it came to providing test kits.
“Australia is already late to the party,” she said. “We have been closely monitoring as these tests have been used overseas to facilitate COVIDSafe events and the reopening of large businesses.”
Lord Mayor said the groups – combined with high vaccination rates and QR codes – would see Melbourne hold its first events with “confidence”.
“The arrival of these tests is in perfect accordance with the Spring Racing Festival, Christmas and New Year,” she said.
Rolling out this technology will see event attendees wait about 15 minutes for results before safely entering venues.
Helps with mental health
Free pop-up clinics are now open to help Victorians struggling with their mental health due to the Covid lockdown.
Last month, the Andrews government announced it would bolster its support network with 20 new clinics, eight of which are in operation.
This comes as mental health services are in high demand during the pandemic and add additional pressure to an already overburdened system.
Under the startup, three new Cohealth clinics will open in Milton, Kensington and Sunshine.
Other organizations will open additional pop-up centers of their own in Ringwood, Ballarat, Frankston, Mildura, and St Kilda.
“Just two weeks after we announced the strengthening of mental health services, nearly half of our temporary centers are ready to open for any Victorians who need support during this challenging time,” Mental Health Minister James Merlino said.
“With the remaining online pop-up clinics emerging online in Melbourne and regional Victoria in the coming weeks, we are not wasting a moment in responding to the growing demand and making sure people get the right care, close to their homes.”
Each clinic will provide telehealth services, in-person appointments, and provide some face-to-face sessions where possible.
It’s part of a $22 million commitment to rapid specialized care for those who need mental health support and to reduce the burden on emergency departments as COVID cases increase.