Of the 10 people who died in the past 24 hours, four had not been vaccinated, five had received one dose and one had been fully vaccinated.
Jeremy McAnulty of NSW Health said the fully vaccinated man was in his 60s and had underlying medical conditions. The man contracted his infection at Mt Druitt Hospital.
Of the 10 dead, five people were from Sydney’s south-west, two from Sydney’s west, one from inner-city Sydney, one from the Wollongong area and one from the Lake Macquarie area.
dr. McAnulty urged New South Wales residents to follow health regulations and not illegally gather in private homes ahead of the Rugby League Grand Final to be held in Brisbane on Sunday this weekend.
Australia’s international borders will reopen in November
“I hope everyone enjoys the game and I want to remind people to continue to follow safety rules to protect yourself and your loved ones and your communities from COVID,” he said in a video briefing.
“Social gatherings are not allowed in homes because you risk spreading the virus.”
Earlier this week, Victorian health officials blamed illegal lockdown gatherings over the long weekend of the AFL Grand Final with an increase in cases.
Of today’s cases, 351 are from Sydney’s south and west. There were 72 cases registered in the Illawarra Shoalhaven local health district, with 65 from the Hunter New England area.
Fragments of the virus were found in sewer samples in Dareton in the far west, Dungog and Karuah in the Hunter, South Grafton in northern New South Wales and Bermagui on the south coast. Residents were called to check for symptoms.
In New South Wales, more than 87 percent of adults have had their first vaccine dose, and more than 65 percent have been fully vaccinated.
Non-emergency day surgery resumes Tuesday at NSW private health facilities as COVID-19 transmission rates continue to decline.
But non-emergency surgeries in NSW public hospitals remain on hold.
“This is to ensure we maintain sufficient system capacity, as well as patient, staff and public safety, for the delivery of health services during the COVID-19 response,” NSW Health said Friday.
“Emergency and emergency elective surgery will be performed in public hospitals during this challenging time.”