Queensland registered two new locally acquired coronavirus cases on Saturday, bolstering the NRL’s chances of holding Sunday’s grand final in Brisbane as scheduled.
The new cases were children of a Covid-positive man, reported in Friday’s figures, who has been linked to a cluster that started last week on Eatons Hill, north of Brisbane.
The family traveled to Kirra on the Gold Coast in late September.
The children were in home quarantine when they had positive results, but Queensland health official Jeanette Young said they spent a “short time” in the community while contagious.
Young also urged anyone in Portside, Hamilton with symptoms, to get tested.
“Every day we don’t have community transmission is another day that more than 50,000 Queensland residents get the chance to get vaccinated,” she said. “We have enough vaccines.”
Two cases acquired abroad were also discovered in hotel quarantine on Saturday. There are now 25 active cases of Covid-19 in Queensland.
Queensland Health Minister Yvette D’Ath stopped giving the green light to the NRL decision maker on Saturday morning but gave the best indication yet that the blockbuster in South Sydney and Penrith would go ahead.
“A day is a long time with Covid-19, but things are looking very positive,” she said. “To know that we had five clusters, and the reality is that we haven’t seen any community transmission beyond the actual workplace and household contacts is great news.
“But it’s reliant on people coming forward and getting tested so we can see if a transfer is happening and we can get over it very quickly.”
Queensland Prime Minister Annastacia Palaszczuk announced on Thursday that the capacity at Suncorp Stadium would be reduced to 75%.
Contingency plans have ranged from moving to Townsville to postponing the game for at least a week if crowds are banned.
Western Australia has also reportedly made an effort to organize the decision maker as a postponement was forced due to a lockdown in Queensland.
The Queensland government has said they will not give the green light to play the match with 75% spectators until Sunday morning, as scheduled, pending the number of cases.
The number of people has already been reduced from 52,000 to 39,000 with a 75% capacity and that could be further reduced if the outbreak spirals out of control in the next 24 hours.
Palaszczuk has consistently rejected the idea that high-profile sporting events play a role in the state’s approach to contain the virus.
“May I just make it very clear, if the advice is to go into lockdown, we go into lockdown,” she said on Friday.
Phase two restrictions are currently in effect in the Brisbane, Gold Coast, Moreton Bay, Logan, Townsville and Palm Island regions.