World number eight Dominic Thiem said he will not need surgery on a wrist injury that will rule him out for the rest of the season.
The 28-year-old suffered the injury at the Mallorca Open in June and had to skip Wimbledon and was unable to defend his US Open title last month.
“I was in Belgium to decide whether I need surgery on my wrist or not and luckily I have very, very good news. I don’t need the surgery,” the Austrian said on Twitter on Monday.
“It’s really stable and it looks good, my wrist. Over the next week I have to make it more flexible and strengthen my wrist, doing everything I can to prepare to start playing tennis again slowly.
“I’m really looking forward to it. It’s been quite a long time without a racket and I really miss it.”
Thiem’s best result this season was at the Madrid Open, where he reached the semifinals.
Get the best sports news straight to your inbox
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to access The Philippine Daily Inquirer and other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am and share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.