The release of Mohammed Skaf: the concerns of the neighbors after the rapist’s return

Gang rapist Mohammed Skaf has been harassed in the street as he returns home after 21 years in prison, but neighbors are concerned for their safety.

Gang rapist Mohammed Skaf may not sleep well on his first night out of prison in more than two decades.

As the 38-year-old was hastily chased away from the home of his parents Baria and Mustapha in western Sydney, a pickup truck flew by with loud “rapist” cries screaming at the front door.

A neighbor of Skaf told news.com.au she was “afraid” and worried at the prospect of him living nearby.

While another person who lives close to the Skaf family’s home in Greenacre said she was concerned about the man, who spent 21 years in prison and is now in the community.

‘Of course I’m concerned. I have young granddaughters.”

On Wednesday morning, Skaf left Sydney’s Long Bay prison after being granted parole, allowing him to serve the last two years of his sentence on strict terms.

While older brother Bilal led the infamous Skaf rape gang, in 2000 Mohammed and up to 14 other youths raped six women between the ages of 16 and 18.

During the gang’s four-week reign of terror, they humiliated the young women by calling them “Aussie pigs” while forcing them to do it “Leb style” and then hose them down.

The shocking crimes originally resulted in a total of 240 years in prison for the nine convicted men, although these were reduced on appeal.

Designer changes on release

Skaf was dressed in designer clothes as he made the long walk from the entrance of Long Bay to a waiting white Toyota Corolla.

He wore a white Hugo Boss sweatshirt and gold necklace with a white mask and matching bright white sneakers, and was holding a water bottle and paperwork.

But the signs of his crime were still there – a gray electronic anklet he will have to wear for the next two years was wrapped around his right ankle.

Skaf’s first taste of limited freedom was the 25-minute drive to the family’s neat bungalow. The front yard was lined with red and purple roses and succulents.

The family appeared to have prepared for his arrival with at least four security cameras attached to the tidy house, including one above the granny at the back where Skaf is said to live.

Sometimes a raised voice could be heard from inside the house, while someone’s hand often came out from behind the living room blinds to film the media package.

But neither Mohammed nor any of his family were happy to answer questions about whether he regretted his actions.

‘Scared’ and ‘Concerned’

Neighbor Irene Sava told news.com.au that the street was full of good people, but she was concerned about the new arrival.

“Everyone is worried, I’m scared. He’s been in prison for 20 years.”

Another local, who declined to be named, told news.com.au that she understood the rationale for parole to help him re-adjust to the community, but he had “mixed feelings” about Skaf being so close.

“21 years is a long time for someone to be locked up. I am concerned.

“I have young granddaughters. Who knows what will happen?”

The neighbor said that despite reports of unrest, she usually saw hardly any police on the street – until now.

“Now that Skaf has been released, everyone is there, including the police. We are quite angry about it in this area.”

Skaf has spent much of his time in Kirkconnell Prison in the central west of the state, close to Bathurst. He was transferred to Long Bay, eastern Sydney, last week.

He will be subject to strict conditions, including wearing an electronic ankle monitor and being banned from entering the local government areas of Liverpool, Fairfield, Parramatta and parts of Canterbury-Bankstown where the rapes were committed.

He will live in his parents’ Greenacre home and undergo therapy as directed.

The NSW State Parole Authority felt there was no option but to release him.

Skaf was sentenced to 22 years, 11 months and 30 days with an unconditional period of 16 years, 11 months and 30 days, expiring in January 2024.

His brother Bilal, whose original sentence of 55 years was reduced to 31, will not be eligible for parole until 2033.

– With Candace Sutton

.

Leave a Comment