Ottawa LRT trains test regular service after ‘minor incident’ at the storage facility

A “minor incident” involving a light rail train from Ottawa at Belfast Yards earlier this week will not hold live tests on the Confederation Line back on Thursday as the system prepares for a relaunch in the coming days.

Brandon Richards, City of Ottawa’s Chief Safety Officer, confirmed to Global News in a statement Thursday that there was a problem during “routine maintenance activity” at the LRT storage facility on Tuesday.

Read more:
OC Transpo proposes a price increase of 2.5%, expects rider numbers at levels before COVID-19 by 2023

He said there were no injuries or delays to system-wide testing on the line as a result of the incident, which was reported to the Transportation Safety Board of Canada (TSB).

A spokesman for TSB confirmed that it was informed of the incident and is investigating the case, but that it does not warrant a separate report. Rather, the event will be collected as data for future analysis.

Meanwhile, OC Transpo will start full testing on Thursday on the Confederation Line, which has been shut down since the derailment on September 19 near Tremblay Station.

The trains run as if they are “full service”, including regular stops and station announcements, but no passengers will be on board.

Partial service with seven trains on the line is expected to begin sometime in the first two weeks of November, with full service scheduled sometime in December.

The city’s independent railway safety adviser, TRA, will have to sign the Rideau Transit Group’s repair and maintenance protocols before the service can be resumed on the Confederation Line.

Mayor Steve Kanellakos said Thursday in a note to the council that TRA is “nearing completion” of its assessment and will hold a technical briefing on Friday to address questions about the line and provide initial results and recommendations.

© 2021 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

.

Leave a Comment

Advertise