Former Marine who said ‘we take’ the Capitol on January 6 convicted

A former Montana Marine who told a reporter that rioters “should take” the U.S. capital on Jan. 6 was sentenced Friday to 60 days in prison after reaching an agreement with prosecutors.

Boyd Camper, who had originally been charged with four misdemeanors, pleaded guilty to a single charge of parade, demonstration or strike in the Capitol, according to U.S. District Court Records in Washington DC

In an interview broadcast on CBS News, Boyd Camper acknowledged that he was inside the Capitol on January 6, 2021, saying “I was in the front line.”CBS News via FBI

Camper also agreed to pay $ 500 against $ 1.5 million in repair costs for the U.S. Capitol, a court note shows.

According to the memo, Camper traveled to Washington DC with his 10-year-old son to attend then-President Donald Trump’s speech about the mall. After finding the speech “wanted,” the memo says, he joined a group on his way to the U.S. Capitol, leaving his son with a friend before breaking into the building.

Surveillance cameras captured the Camper with a Go-Pro camera through the building. After Camper was arrested on March 12 – and investigators asked for the camera he had recorded with – he refused to hand it over, saying it would involve him, according to a lawsuit.

Boyd Allen Camper, circled in red, walks through the Capitol Rotunda on January 6, 2021, with what appears to be a camera on a pole.Capitol police

Camper later told a federal agent he buried the camera.

After leaving the Capitol, Camper told a CBS reporter that he had been in the “front line” among those who penetrated the barricades and police officers, according to federal court documents.

“We are taking” this place, he added, according to the documents. “If you have not heard it, it is called the act of rebellion, and we people are ready.”

In the verdict, Campers’ lawyer said the statement did not “necessarily reflect his thoughts” because it was made in an “agitated state”.

In a statement included in the note, Camper apologized for his “contribution to the chaos” and said he did not intend to hurt anyone.

“I was captivated by the synergy and momentum of the audience and made a bad decision to participate,” he said. “My behavior was not violent, did not harm anything, I respected our police officers.”

Also convicted Friday were Bradley Rukstales, the former CEO of a technology firm in the Chicago area who was arrested after confronting police officers inside the U.S. capital. The company, Cogensia, fired him two days later.

More than 650 people have been charged in the January 6 riots. About 120 have pleaded guilty, mostly to misdemeanors.

Associated Press the contribution.

Leave a Comment