A new report from the Department of Defense’s Office of the Inspector General raises questions about the report that the now retired chief of the District of Columbia National Guard gave about sending troops to the Capitol during the January 6 attack.
The report, released on Tuesday, showed that then-Major General William Walker was twice told he was allowed to deploy troops to the Capitol after the building was broken into.
The results seem to contradict the retired general’s claim that he would have deployed troops more quickly if the Trump administration had given him the green light.
The report stated that Pentagon officials “did not unduly delay or prevent the DoD’s response” to the January 6 riots.
In early March, Walker testified to Congress that then-Capitol Police Chief Steven Sund requested immediate assistance around 1:49 p.m. for DC National Guardsmen after the Capitol’s security perimeter had been breached.
Walker also said he immediately called Army officials to forward Sund’s request, but was not told that his request was approved before 6 p.m. 17.08, approximately three hours after the request was submitted.
According to the report, however, the military secretary Ryan McCarthyRyan McCarthy Two-star general at Fort Hood acquitted after internal investigation Vice News promotes Micheal Learmonth to editor-in-chief. Trump nominee supports Christine Wormuth as military secretary MORE first told Walker by telephone that the request had been approved at. 16:35, and then called again to reissue the order 30 minutes later, the report found.
During the call, which took place at. 14.22, city officials pressed for the immediate deployment of the guard. Lieutenant General Walter Piatt, director of the army’s staff, told investigators he was trying to communicate that there should be a clear reason for the guard to be deployed, the report said.
McCarthy was only on the call for a few minutes so he could forward the request to then-Secretary of Defense Christopher Miller. During the call, someone threatened to tell the media that the army rejected the request.
The call ended around noon. 14.45, after someone on the call reported that shots were fired at the Capitol.
McCarthy went to DC Metropolitan Police headquarters around noon. 15:48 to meet with Contee and Bowser, where they developed a plan for what the guards would do when they arrived at the Capitol.
While DoD officials proved to have acted properly, the report provided recommendations on how the Pentagon is responding to future incidents in the Capitol area.
The report recommended that the Pentagon consider formulating a plan for how it and the DC National Guard will respond to major civil unrest in the National Capitol region.
It also recommended that federal and non-federal agencies be trained in how to request assistance from the Pentagon.
The Hill has contacted the Pentagon and DC National Guard for a comment.