New lawsuit filed on behalf of more than 280 Astroworld Festival concertgoers

The lawsuit, filed Wednesday, names defendants including Apple Music, Scott, rapper Drake and Live Nation, claiming they were negligent and stood to earn “an exorbitant amount” at the event, but chose to “cut corners, cut in costs and endanger festival-goers. “

“Many in the crowd were knocked to the ground and trampled, some were caught and crushed against other concertgoers, while others were pressed together against metal barricades,” the lawsuit states. “The resulting catastrophic incident and carnage were easily predictable and preventable if the defendants had acted in a reasonably prudent manner in the planning of a large-scale festival such as the Astroworld Fest.”

Live Nation said earlier in a statement that it was “crushed for the lost and affected” and “will continue to work to provide as much information and assistance as possible to local authorities while investigating the situation.”
Medical staff at Astroworld responded to 11 cardiac arrests at the same time, says the CEO of the drug company
Drake said in a statement on Instagram last week that his “heart is broken for families and friends of those who lost their lives and for all who are suffering. I will continue to pray for all of them and will be of service in every way I can. “

The lawsuit claims $ 2 billion in damages for “extreme pain and suffering, loss of earnings, emotional distress and medical expenses.”

“My clients want to make sure the defendants are held accountable for their actions, and they want to send the message to all artists, event organizers and organizers that what happened in Astroworld can not happen again,” said attorney Thomas J. Henry in a statement. .

At least 140 lawsuits have been filed in connection with the festival tragedy, according to Harris County District Court.

A separate lawsuit filed on behalf of more than 125 plaintiffs earlier this week is seeking more than $ 750 million in damages to “fix, help or compensate for the damages and losses they have suffered.” Among the plaintiffs is the family of Axel Acosta Avila, a 21-year-old college junior from Tieton, Washington, who died in the incident.

Witnesses described the incident as traumatic

The Houston Fire Department Logs obtained by CNN last week show that spectators to the event had already broken the festival’s main gate shortly after the start time at. 9, and that at least eight further violations were reported during the day. Shortly before 5 p.m., Houston police reported “dangerous crowds” at one point.

A few minutes before Scott took the stage at. 21, more than 260 people had already been treated, according to the logs. At 9:33 p.m., police reported that “several people were trampled down, fainted at the front scene.” A “Level One MCI” – mass accident – was reported at. 21:52, according to the logs.

9-year-old boy injured at Astroworld Festival has died, says family lawyer, bringing the death toll to 10

Between 22.00 and around kl. At 11.40 pm, 17 people had been transported to hospitals, of which at least six had cardiac arrest.

Alex Pollak, CEO of the medical firm hired by the festival’s organizers, said this week that his staff should treat 11 people with cardiac arrest at the same time.

“This is something I’ll have nightmares about for the rest of my life,” Pollak said. “The team is extremely broken up around it. Seeing so many young people get cardiopulmonary resuscitation at once is just something no one has to go through.”

Witnesses described traumatic conditions, some saying they saw lifeless bodies being trampled down in the middle of the chaos, while others had to fight their way out of the crowd as the music continued.

“It felt like it was the end for me,” said participant Selena Beltran, describing that she lost her balance when a crowd around her began to jump. “To think that’s how I want to die, I was so scared.”

“I did not know what to do. It was all happening so fast, but so slowly, and I could not react. I was just screaming,” Beltran added.

It is unclear what Scott saw from the stage and whether he was aware of the audience conditions, but he continued to perform until around 6 p.m. 22.10. Scott’s attorney said the artist did not know about the mass accident statement until the following morning.

CNN’s Natasha Chen contributed to this report.

.

Leave a Comment

Advertise