Viking Everson Griffen willingly leaves home after negotiations with police

Everson Griffen was involved in lengthy negotiations with law enforcement on Wednesday from his home in Minnetrista before the conflict was resolved.

The defensive end of the Vikings left his home more than five hours after police arrived because he called 911.

The Vikings issued this statement: “Law enforcement has informed us that Everson Griffen came out of his home without incident and is now receiving the care he needs. We are grateful to the Hennepin County Sheriff’s Office, Carver County Sheriff’s Office, Minnetrista Police “The Department and the Orono Police Department for their prompt response and dedication to ensuring that the situation ended peacefully. Our focus remains on Everson’s health and safety and on providing the right resources for him and his family.”

Griffen, 33, posted a video on Instagram early Wednesday morning in which he said people were trying to kill him, and called police to his home. He was alone inside the house with police outside in a stalemate that ended when police cars and an ambulance went around 6 p.m. 14.30

He called 911 shortly after noon. 03:00 from his home in the 5700 block of Hardscrabble Circle and said someone was with him and that he needed help from law enforcement but no uninvited guest was found, Minnetrista police said. He also told the sender that he fired a shot but no one was injured, police added.

Coach Mike Zimmer repeated at his press briefing at. 10.30 the team’s concern and said he spoke to the players earlier in the day. Zimmer said he heard about the situation early Wednesday morning and put questions to General Manager Rick Spielman.

Spielman is scheduled to give a briefing at 4 p.m.

Early Wednesday morning, Griffen posted screenshots on his Instagram account of text messages to his agent Brian Murphy, who asked for help, told Murphy to call 911 and said, “People are trying to kill me.” A video on Griffen’s Instagram account, which was later deleted, showed the 33-year-old in his house holding a gun and saying that people were trying to kill him and that he had bought the gun and bullets legally.

In September 2018, Griffen was taken by ambulance to a hospital after two incidents led to police involvement. During these incidents, Griffen threatened violence at the Hotel Ivy in downtown Minneapolis and made comments about people trying to kill him.

The defensive end spent four weeks undergoing mental health treatment before returning to the Vikings that season, and later revealed that he lived in a sober house for the last three months of the 2018 season. He played 17 of the team’s 18 regular season and playoff games in 2019.

This summer, the Vikings brought Griffen back on a non-guaranteed veteran minimum wage contract after a tryout during training camp. The deal came after a lengthy conversation with Zimmer, who said on August 23: “It looks like he’s in a good place. Hopefully he can continue with that and if he does, he can help us.”

They only intended to use the 33-year-old in passing situations, but he played well enough to regain his old place as the team’s starting right defensive end and was especially valuable in light of the Pro Bowl defensive end Danielle Hunter sustained a season-ending injury. . Griffen is number two on the team with five sacks.

Staff writer Paul Walsh contributed to this story.

Leave a Comment