The next planned PS5 rebuild comes from GameStop, and it will be in-store instead of online. You will need to check the GameStop Store Finder to confirm which local store will have consoles and pay particular attention to when these stores will open. Some GameStop locations open as early as 6 p.m. 5pm on Thanksgiving Day and you will probably have to line up early to guarantee that you can take part in this PS5 rebuild.
Want to wait for an online PlayStation 5 recharge instead of camping on Thanksgiving day for a Black Friday deal? I can not blame you but to get into oneRefilling can be messy and frustrating, especially if you’ve been through a couple and still haven’t gotten your fingers in one. The good news is that these PS5 rebuilds have been increasing in frequency – in fact, there have been two massive rebuilds already this week, and it’s likely we’ll see more today or tomorrow. Here are a few quick tips:
- PS5 recharges are much more common in the afternoon and evening than they are in the morning. The chances of an unplanned reconstruction tend to increase dramatically after 6 p.m. 10 PT (13:00 ET), so if you’re wondering when to check, this is usually the best time to start.
- If a rebuild starts and you immediately see Sold Out on the screen, do not give up. Refresh the screen a few times and keep trying. Some vendors release the consoles in waves to prevent bots from getting them all.
Over the past year, the major retailers have made a lot of changes to the payment process in an attempt to both give peace of mind and prevent bots from buying all consoles and selling them for more somewhere else. The latest change we’ve seen in the PS5 restock game is paid access, which means you buy a subscription, and one of the benefits is that you get on the next PS5 rebuild either earlier than anyone else or exclusively for your club.
After a few weeks of launching this new system across GameStop, Best Buy, Walmart and even Amazon in some cases, the only thing we can say for sure is that it’s still not guaranteed that you’ll get a console through these systems. The queue fills up quickly for all of them, and consoles are in many cases only in stock for minutes. Every time a PS5 recharge happens, social media is filled with people describing how they experienced errors in the process and the consoles ended up being completely gone.
It is unreasonable to sign up and pay for every service, but this is where we can help. We are constantly tracking the best way for you to get your fingers in a PS5, and there are plenty of things you can do to increase your odds before the buy button lights up. Check it out below.
Why is the PS5 so hard to find?
There are three major reasons why you are still struggling to get a PS5. The first is the most obvious: the system is really popular. Sony says the PS5 is its best-selling console and has already sold 10 million units since its launch.
The second reason is the current chip shortage that affects most of the world’s electronics. Sony said it has secured enough chips to reach its target of 14.8 million consoles for the fiscal year.
As for the last reason, it comes down to bots. Retailers use software to buy a huge number of PS5s at one time, leaving only a few that actual people can buy. Dealers added various bot protections during PS5 rebuilds, but these restrictions only hamper dealers so much.
Where has the PS5 been available recently?
We keep track of every PS5 rebuild and maintain this list here of the most likely sites you will find them and when the PS5 was last available there.
Which Early Access service do I have to pay for?
Many companies now restrict access to a PS5 to a subscription, but each one is a little different. Here is the full overview of how each one works.
- Amazon Prime: This one is pretty straightforward. In many cases, the only way to buy a PS5 from Amazon is by being a Prime subscriber or by signing up for the Treasure Truck text service. There are no additional fees outside of the standard Prime subscription, but in many cases you will not be able to access the PS5 rebuild unless you subscribe.
- GameStop PowerUp Rewards Pro: Many PS5 recharges from GameStop start an hour earlier for you if you have signed up for this rewards program. This works best when GameStop announces the rebuild in advance or sends emails to its subscribers to let them know they are on their way. This subscription service costs $ 15 per year and includes a wealth of extra perks.
- Walmart Plus: This service was built by Walmart to offer early access during sales events, and it includes a PS5 rebuild. The rules for this early access vary; in some cases, PS5 rebuilding may be completely limited to subscribers, or it may be an early access window of one to four hours before the general public has access. Walmart charges $ 13 per month or $ 98 per. years for this service. There is a 15-day free trial available at the moment if you are not sure it is something for you, but you will only get early access if you pay for the first month.
- Best Buy Totaltech: If you want special access to Geek Squad for installations and technical support, as well as extensions on warranty purchases, this is the service for you. If you just want this early access to a PS5 rebuild, Best Buy is asking you to pay $ 200 a year, and that’s a lot. Best Buy occasionally restricts access to a PS5 restocking to Totaltech subscribers only, but most of the time these restraints are made available to the public later.
Currently, the service that seems most useful to most is Walmart Plus. There are more rebuilds at Walmart than most other places right now, and that subscription can increase your odds of getting a console dramatically. You still have to be quick and accept that you may not get the console on the first try, but it’s a good way to increase your odds.
How do I increase my chances of getting a PS5?
Major retailers like Walmart, GameStop, Amazon, Target and Best Buy usually do not give much notice prior to a rebuild. Sometimes they will have a warehouse in the morning, other times in the afternoon and in some cases even in the middle of the night. Here are some tips to help you get the jump on the competition.
First tip: Do not wait until you see a PS5 stock drop warning. Check the links of major retailers for stock updates daily or even several times a day. (We have all the links listed below.) If you encounter a PS5 availability, go all-in with as many browsers and devices as possible. For example, on a desktop, open the reseller’s page in Chrome, Firefox, and Edge. So do the same on your phone and tablet. The more devices and browsers, the better. It’s like with lottery tickets: the more you have, the greater your chances of winning.
Second tip: Create accounts with the various retailers and make sure you are already logged in if you are going to try to get a PS5. Make sure all your shipping, billing and payment information is up to date, no matter what device you can buy from, whether it’s a laptop, desktop or phone. This makes checkout much faster, which is crucial as retailers’ websites quickly get stuck, leading to people losing their chance to secure a PS5.
Where is it safe to buy a PS5 if I’m okay with paying extra?
If you’re starting to crack and are considering buying a PS5 right now (and we know that with the number of major PS5 games dropping over the next few months being pressured), you can do so, but at the expense of of a large markup on sites like eBay or StockX. On eBay, for example, we’ve seen PS5 units priced above $ 1,000, though prices have slowly dropped to around $ 700.
Where to buy a PS5
You will usually find that the standard edition is available more often than the digital edition at Target, but that does not make it any less solid for a place to check for stock.
Currently one of the best places to get a PS5, but beware that the company often makes the consoles available to Walmart Plus subscribers first.
It is usually a requirement to have a Prime membership to access a PS5 restock from Amazon, but not always. And if you sign up for the Treasure Truck program, you will receive an SMS when a PS5 is available for delivery.
Reinstallation is fast on GameStop, and if you are a PowerUp Rewards Pro subscriber, you can occasionally access the console one hour before everyone else.
You can find a PS5 restock at Best Buy more often than most places, although it sometimes requires a Totaltech subscription if you want an early one.
To buy a console directly from Sony, click on this link and sign up to be placed in the waiting queue. When you get an email inviting you to buy the console, it’s a pretty low-stress checkout followed by a one or two day wait for shipping, and you’re done.
PS5 rebuilds do not happen super frequently at Newegg, but they do, and it’s a good idea to check here because many other people do not know how to do it.
You do not pay the standard price for your PS5 if you buy it from here, but you will definitely get it without big fights to check out.
When all else fails, if you absolutely must have the console right now no matter the price, the people at StockX will at least protect you from being scammed by someone who never intended to give you a console.
More PlayStation 5 coverage
This story is updated regularly with the latest PS5 stock news.